Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Circus Tumblers

Love Is The Game


  Suspending disbelief, especially in literature, is difficult for me. I have shied away from Sci-Fi and fantasy books and even Harry Potter was a stretch.  This is why, I am so surprised at the joy Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus has brought to me. Maybe it is the her outstanding ability to use words to create such a vivid picture of the world of the Night Circus. The vivid use of black and white to enhance color is a concept any designer would treasure. Her characters, while not deep, are all so interesting and quirky we come to feel very strongly about their moves and motives.  Her supporting characters, such as Bailey, the "town" boy who runs away with the circus, are so appealing and "normal" he stands out in this crowd of psychics and magicians and strangely mean mentors. 
  And so, with all this beauty and magic, it is strangely haunting to come to the middle of this book, and realize, it's all about love.  The love story is a "balancing act", as surely as if it were on the highwire and we are all holding our breath to see what happens. 
  I'm happy to say that the Face to Face meeting, less than two weeks away, to be held on April 8th at 6:30 is almost upon us. I am SO interested to hear what you all have thought of the book.  Be sure to SIGN UP HERE if you would like to attend.  We are almost sold out already.
  Without any spoilers please, let me know what you think so far, and please post questions you would like to have me pose at the meeting, on our comments section. It's opened up, so anyone may make a comment without any more signing in.
Can't wait to see you all.  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I like having the NPR Books teasers on this page. I am finding some wonderful ideas. "Life After Life" sounds very intriguing.
    Anyway, I'm enjoying "Night Circus"-- lots of good visuals to stoke the imagination :-) It's a fun book to read right before bed-- very dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again, looking forward to getting together with the CapRadio club to share our thoughts about Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus. Read my review here.

    ReplyDelete